Saturday, November 13, 2010

BSc. (Hons.) - Microbiology. What's that?

I can still remember that morning. Without taking my bath, I went straight downstairs, opened the PC, connected to the Internet, and browsed the Ministry of Higher Education's website. Eyes half opened. Mom and dad sitting at the table having breakfast, just few meters away. It was a very bad adrenaline rush I had.

While waiting for the page to load, I clearly remembered the conversation between Ayah and me few days before.

Ayah: Where did you applied for degree?
Me: UPU. First choice, UPM. Biotechnology.
Ayah: What is Biotechnology?
Me: It's the application of biology in technology <--(did I get that one wrong? :P)
Ayah: (not convinced with my answer) So, what's your plan B?
Me: Plan B? Err.. I just apply for UPU Ayah. No plan B.
Ayah: (Shocked) You should have plan B. Don't waste your time.
Me: (Speechless).(Then, anxious). (Then, termenung sorang-sorang! Kalau x dpt UPU, mati!)

And then the page loaded, keyed in my IC number, and there you go!

Tahniah! Bla.. bla.. bla....

Bacelor Sains (Kepujian) Mikrobiologi.
Fakulti Bioteknologi & Sains Biomolekul.
Universiti Putra Malaysia, SERDANG.


Guess how I reacted? Jerit satu rumah beb! I hugged my mom with tears. Not because I'm too happy I don't have to have plan B, but simply because I was feeling down with my matriculation CGPA, honestly, it wasn't that good. Ask me if you dare :P It was magical that the course offered was never in my 8 choices. Alhamdulillah, was all I have in mind, and heart for the next few days. Unbelievable, but true :)

The next thing in mind was, What the heck is this microbiology? I knew what microorganism is, KUMAN! that can be seen under microscope. That's all! SERIOUSLY.

So I browsed through the internet, did some readings, and a little bit understood about MICROBIOLOGY.

I know I'm not fortunate enough to know any seniors taking this course, I even struggling to breathe during the earlier semesters. But I managed to breathe right, stood up and run, then fly high :D I'm no First class achiever in the end, but satisfied with two times Dean's list out of 6 semesters. That's rewarding enough for me :)

OK OK I'm not gonna brag about my achievements in this post. I just wanna share something that I could not find in any blogs five years ago. I dedicate this post to those young people, that's still searching for educational directions. I know those youngsters might not find or read this, but maybe someday I believe, someone will read this, may this post would make your visions more clear, about Microbiology :D

You can easily find the Microbiology definitions through google. I'm not going to list them here, you browse yourself. What I'd like to share here is my own definitions and perceptions of Microbiology.

During my first year as a Microbiology student, I failed to impress myself of my abilities to adapt with new things, I mean NEW FACTUAL THINGS. I couldn't understand what microbiology really means, and how it could affect our lives, and what kind of job opportunities would I have in future. I never get a clear picture of what this microbiology can do in the industry. I even thought of taking a double degree in Psychology once. LOL :) But I battled to the end. Throughout the journey, I met with a lot of interesting people, and saw the passion they have towards microbiology.

My turning point? Honestly, I could not remember what initiated the interest in me, but I really enjoyed laboratory practicals. I can still remember the first time I learnt how to streak bacteria, the outcomes were so ugly I would say. HAHA. those were the days :) And everytime we came into the lab, 4 important things to bring were lab coat, permanent marker, lighter and Good morning towel. We cleaned the workbench with dettol, sometimes alcohol. Light up the Bunsen burner to sterile the inoculating loops, and there were times when someone got burnt too! Luckily I don't remember who. :P

During the 4th semester, I applied for internship at Selayang Hospital. It wasn't included in my degree requirement, without any allowance I went for the internship for 6 weeks. That was when I found the answer. Medical microbiology was where my soul is. I love to study about human pathogens. Escherichia coli, the main culprit for diarrhea, Staphylococcus aureus and Streptococcus sp. that caused infections in throats and eyes, HIV, bacteremia, MRSA etc. bla bla bla .. I love working in the Pathology Lab, someone even asked me, "If you don't receive any allowance, and you don't need to make any reports, why did you come here? It's semester break, ok?". I smiled and said, " I just want to learn". I need to know where can I fit in the future, with this Microbiology thing.

The day I left Selayang Hospital, was the day I put Hospital Science Officer as an option. I just love the place. It reminds me of my childhood ambition, to be a doctor, then a paediatrician cause I love kids (even sometimes I act and talk like one :P)

Microbiology has also affected my personal life. I don't eat at dirty places, or when the workers seems not convincing, in terms of hygiene. I don't usually 'recycle' my outfit, once put on should be washed, unless necessary. Washing hands before eating is crucial, and whenever needed, hand sanitizer is applied. Very choosy in picking toilets. HAHA. I would rather pay RM 10 for a clean toilet WITH a water hose and tissues, than entering toilets where you can find 'greenery' and 'blackheads'. HAHAHAH.

Towards the end of my degree study, I had a better vision of job opportunities in Microbiology. Agriculture microbiology, where we can work with biopesticides or biocomposts. Medical microbiology, working with all sorts of human pathogens, including those deadly H1N1 virus. Pharmaceutical microbiology, working with medications involving microorganisms. Food microbiology, where you can work with probiotic organisms like Yakult, or any other foods, that involves the participation of microorganisms. And also Environmental microbiology, where you usually work with bioremediation. See, how microbiology can affect our lives? :D

And because of this passion I have for microbiology, I've worked with Food microbiology during my degree's final year project and currently at the last stage of MSc. Pesticide Toxicology in the making. Working with soil microorganisms, at least I've done my part of "Berbudi pada tanah". HEHEHE. I should been correcting my thesis draft now, but I can't resist the blogging mood that seldom comes these past few months :P

Now that I am in this field for five years now, I knew this is the best for me. Never would I want to come back to those times, when I eagerly wanted to be a doctor, or desperately needed the JPA scholarship to study overseas. In maybe five years from now, a PhD Dr. I would be InsyaAllah. Not that I've forgotten the joy to work in the hospital, deep in my heart, I sincerely want to share every knowledge I've learnt, and the passions I have towards Microbiology, with the next generation of another 'ME' that doesn't have any plan B's and hooked up with Microbiology :P

And right now, in my most humble state but with pride, I'd say, a Microbiologist, I am.

Thank You Allah :)

P/S: I have come to a stage now, when I feel this micro-creatures that He created, are unique and beautiful in their very own ways :) Well, typical microbiologist, huh? :P

11 comments:

  1. so why not be creative and make plan on how u r going to make a lot of money with the microbes and i think it shud be included in plan A, rather than perceiving it as plan B
    so then when u have succesfully turned them into a good business, i'll invest in your thing. and i'll name that my plan B. hahah

    btw, you are definitely lucky when you love that thing you do

    eh officially dah ade master ek? tahniah:D(ke aku dah lambat wish?)

    ReplyDelete
  2. HAHA. insyaAllah when I have improvise my PLAN A, U'll be one of my big investors :)

    btw, did I mentioned I already hv a MSc? Which part? I did mention I'm in the last stage. Thesis correction. Then VIVA. Then Viva!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. A very inspiring story. Thanks a lot for sharing. Sharing is caring. Hehe. All the best in all your undertakings. Good luck & Good fortune ahead :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. haha tak ah. aku tak sure je. sebab tu tanya. gudluck along the way ok. aku nye final year exam start 4/12 nih. doakan :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ruzaini, thanx for reading :) well, I love to share positive thoughts (and negative sometimes HAHA), in fact we used to share a lot of stories back then, right? do U blog? I'd love to read yours as well :)

    Ayep, thanx. so the final of the finals huh. Good LuckSSS :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. salam.

    i was wondering how ur english was so good, this post surely answered my questioned, then i tot, "no wonder she's a scientist"..:)

    it's a nice story, and ur doing a good job for sharing it..

    i had alot of plans in my life, even up to plan C. i once changed plan A into plan B then changing to plan C along the way and lastly ending up doing plan A (back to square one)..haha~ but i guess that's just part of life, it's well known as "dugaan" and everyone has to go through it. Be blessed that ur one of the lucky ones where everything comes smoothly along the way..:)

    biology. God. i hated that subject in school. never had any interest in them..hehe~ (sorry), even slept during SPM becoz of a cold..:)

    i think in the end people will reflect to what they learn in the process, if u learn biology this and that, eventually u'll become hygienic, if u learn accounting (like me..hehe~), eventually u'll end up going through how to reduce cost in life..hehe..and the lists go on..

    p/s: good luck in ur MSc..:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. WOho. that's a bunch of compliments I thot, U made me feel like I'm very lucky enough. HEHE. nway, thanx a lot. Ur English is very good too, an accountant U are :)

    talking about plans in life. normally I wud say, I'd always stick to my only plan I have. Not that I don't have any plan B or C, but I'm some sort of perfectionist, when I think I'm not good enough, I won't go forward until I convinced myself that I can do it. And when I'm determined, nothing cud stop me. However, it's a very big risk to take, coz if things don't go my way, it wud affect me badly, sooo badly :(

    nway, good luck for your interview as well. I guess U r good at it, with all the experiences you've had. All the best :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. really, are u a perfectionist? no way i didn't even noticed...hehe~ (it's written all over in this post la..huhu~)

    i went to interview today. they didn't accept me actually, because i wanted to work part-time..hehe~ but nevermind, i didn't espect much anyway. next year, i'll apply full-time job for real, this one is just for fun, a try and error sort of thing..:)

    hm..Allah always know His people better than anyone elses. Firman Allah, saying that He will only test (uji) that person becoz He knows that person can take it. (surah al-baqarah, ayat 286). don't worry Dia sangat mengenali kamu..:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. ow. u applied for part time. u do have a full time job don't u ?

    nway, thanx for the reminder :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. i quit my job so i can study full-time. just took up a degree course actually.
    but now the only thing i should keep in mind is to be patient, i'm losing it quite a bit recently. (sigh..)
    takpela orang lain-lain, dugaan pon lain-lain..:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. so u've been working before u take ur degree?

    interesting. How can u cope? I mean, what motivates you to continue your studies since work is more rewarding (in terms of money)? HAHA :P

    btw, degree in accounting?

    ReplyDelete